About us

Jackson and I were married May 27, 2006. Addy joined our family in June of 2008 and Brylee came almost two years after in March of 2010. They are cute little girls and so much fun! This is our blog about periodic things going on in our family.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Great Dilemma

Once upon a time, not so very long ago, a little bet was made between a husband and a wife concerning a certain gender of a certain baby that was yet to be born.. The husband bet the wife that the little baby was surely a girl, and, well, the wife was willing to bet anything that the upcoming baby was a boy. The wife had reasons.. oh, yes, she did. Her first pregnancy was racked with feelings of illness, extreme hormones, and about every pregnancy symptom in the book.. resulting in a little girl. This pregnancy, however, consisted of little to no illness, way less severe mood swings, and basically no pregnancy symptoms (with one exclusion: being extremely fatigued all. the. time.) Relying on what the wife had been told about differences in pregnancies between boys and girls, the wife thought surely the new baby would result in being a boy.

So..this is her story. Well, actually, my story. You see, I'm that wife.

The day of the ultrasound appointment arrives. I am nervous and excited and worried a little bit because I didn't drink a quart of water an hour before the ultrasound appointment. I am downing my quart of water on the way to the ultrasound appointment. Hopefully no one will really notice and/or care. Hopefully.

We get to the appointment and the tech person is super nice and really seems to know what she's doing. Whew. She's doing her techy thing and explaining to us what it is that we're looking at. Then the big moment arrives. She goes to look at the gender and... the umbilical cord is in the way. Drat. Now I start thinking to myself about the little paper I was given at the doctor's office concerning the ultrasound where it says something along the lines of this appointment is not to find out the gender of your baby. Consider yourself lucky if you are able to find out the gender.. or something like that. But I'm thinking, haha, everyone gets to find out what they're having when they have these appointment. It's fine. After all, we still have whole appointment ahead of us.

On and on it goes. The tech continues to look, measure, and do whatever it is ultrasound techs are supposed to do. Every little bit she would move down to try to determine the gender of the baby. Every time she went to do that, something was blocking her view -- be it the umbilical cord, the baby's legs, basically whatever could get in the way of this whole process did get in the way. Drats. But now here's the saddest part of this tale: The ultrasound appointment ends. The tech got everything she was supposed to, but, gasp, we still don't know whether we're on team pink or blue! Ah, nuts. We did, however, get a DVD of the ultrasound. That's good at least, but here I was going to be the person to whom the disclaimer paper is directed. I was never going to know whether I was having a boy or girl! (That is, until the baby's born, obviously.) Crushing.

Story continues. Luckily for us we had the nicest tech ever and she told us that she had about 15 minutes before the next appointment and that maybe I could move around or do something to try to get the baby to move. So I decide to jog a few flights of stairs. Up and down. Up and down. Up and down. Question: Have you ever tried jogging up stairs while pregnant? Maybe I'm wimpy, but, boy, I was gasping for air by the time I finished this little exercise routine.

We hurry back into the ultrasound room and the tech is waiting for us. She does her thing and says, well, that did the trick!
Yes!
It's a girl! She says.
What? I say.
It's a girl! She says.
Hmmm, I think. Are you sure?
Hot wings, here I come! Jackson says.
She proceeds to show us how she know it's a girl and the different girl parts.
This is a dilemma, I think. Now what am I supposed to do about my asphalt pie? I have been wanting one for about three months now.. hmmm...
Then the tech gives us our favorite new little bracelet, and away we go.




Snazzy, eh?

Flash forward several weeks, and you find Jackson and I at Wingers. Yum, Wingers. Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera, so I was not able to document the 25 hot wings he consumed by himself; all I have is this picture of our to-go box.. Impressive, I know.



Good for him for winning the bet. Here's the terrific trick though: I had a coupon for a free asphalt pie at Wingers with the purchase of an entree. hahaha. Yes! Mastermind! So one hour and about 7,500 calories later, I'm sure, this turned out to be a win-win win-win situation. The great dilemma is solved.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You little devious mastermind you! ;) Your so cute Sheila! Okay, but you truly deserved that asphalt pie having to be the one who carries and delivers the baby and all.
That is so funny when I read you post on you being sure it was a boy, same thing with me (but opposite). Kaydence's pregnancy was heaven while this one has made me sick and given me a lot of grief. You just never know! I guess we just must make the cutest little girls, stick to what were good at ;) You will have a handsome boy when the day comes but you have to admit there isn't anything better than sweet little girls. CONGRATULATIONS you guys, you make such amazing parents!!!

The Fish Family said...

I am so excited for you. You do make cute girls and at least you are keeping me balanced out by having girls!! Can't wait until Christmas. It is going to be awesome and then maybe one day you can just live down here!!! Take care of yourself and give Addie loves for me.

Terry Family said...

Love the story, thanks for making me smile on a Monday!!

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

I am so glad that you were able to find out what you were having. Addy and the new little one(ANY NAMES?) are going to be the best of friends! Drats, I hate when the husband unit is right. Thanks for making me hungry, I Love Wingers!

Scott and Kel said...

Congrats!! Oh, and LOVE the story. I was in it til the end and I didn't even skip forward :) Those darn boys never let you live it down when they win a bet too huh? BTW, have I invited you to our blog? I comment on yours all of the time :) Let me know if you need an invite--scottnkel@gmail.com

Jake and Bre said...

Hey I found your blog a while ago! Congrats on a girl! I love little girls. Addy will be a great big sister- that is so crazy to me! We'll have to catch up with you one of these days!!